Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
To love one person with a private love is poor and miserable: to love all is glorious.Thomas Traherne
See also Chad
- Rhymes: -æd
- (uncountable) Small pieces of paper punched out from the edges of continuous stationery, punched cards, paper tape etc.
- This card puncher creates a lot of chad.
- (countable) One of these pieces of paper.
- 2000, Barbara and David P. Mikkelson, Urban Legends Reference Pages, http://www.snopes.com/business/names/chad.asp
- The keypunch wasn't named after a Mr. Chadless; it was so named because, as expected, it punched tape while producing little or no chad.
- 1959, J. W. Freebody. Telegraphy.
- The small hinged discs of paper, called ‘chad’, remain attached to the body of the tape.
- 2000, Supreme Court of the United States (per curiam). Bush v. Gore.
- Much of the controversy seems to revolve around ballot cards designed to be perforated by a stylus but which, either through error or deliberate omission, have not been perforated with sufficient precision for a machine to count them. In some cases a piece of the card–a chad–is hanging, say by two corners. In other cases there is no separation at all, just an indentation.
- I had
Elsewhere on the web