Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Part or all of this page has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- The inedible parts of a plant whose seeds are eaten as grain.
- To separate out the chaff, early cultures tossed baskets of grain into the air and let the wind blow away the lighter chaff.
- By extension, any excess or unwanted material, resource, or person; anything worthless.
- There are plenty of good websites on the subject, but take care to separate the wheat from the chaff.
- Loose material dropped from aircraft specifically to interfere with radar detection.
Elsewhere on the web