Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- civilise (mostly British)
From Latin civis
Third person singular
- Educate or enlighten a person or people to a perceived higher standard of behaviour
- Introduce or impose the standards of one civilization upon another civilization, group or person, arguably with the intent of achieving a perceived higher standard of behaviour
- Bring from a state of savagery to an educated or refined state
- Historical or politically different usage
Webster's 1828 Dictionary: To reclaim from a savage state; to introduce civility of manners among a people, and instruct them in the arts of regular life.
Elsewhere on the web