Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- (RP) IPA: /ˈklɔɪstə/, SAMPA: /"klOIst@/
- (US) enPR: kloiʹstər, IPA: /ˈklɔɪstɚ/, SAMPA: /"klOIst@r/
- Rhymes: -ɔɪstə(r)
- A covered walk with an open colonnade on one side, running along the walls of buildings that face a quadrangle.
- A place, especially a monastery or convent, devoted to religious seclusion; life in such a place.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Third person singular
- (intransitive) To become a Roman Catholic religious.
- (transitive) To confine in a cloister, voluntarily or not.
- (intransitive) To deliberately withdraw from worldly things.
- (transitive) To protect or isolate.
Elsewhere on the web