Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- (chemistry) The act or process of burning.
- A process where two chemicals are combined to produce heat.
- A process wherein a fuel is combined with oxygen, usually at high temperature, releasing heat.
act or process of burning
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
From [[w:Template:lang:la language|Template:lang:la]][[Category:Template:lang:la derivations]] combustionem (accusative of combustio), from comburere "to burn", from the intensifying prefix com- + the root burere (a faulty sep. of amburere "to burn around," itself from ambi- + urere "to burn, singe").
- IPA: /kɔ̃.bys.sjɔ̃/
combustion f. (plural combustions)
- combustion: burning, incineration
Elsewhere on the web