Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Happiness is a sunbeam which may pass through a thousand bosoms without losing a particle of its original ray; nay, when it strikes on a kindred heart, like the converged light on a mirror, it reflects itself with redoubled brightness. It is not perfected till it is shared.Jane Porter
- (RP): /ˈkɒnvɜːt/, /"kQnv3:t/
- (US): kŏn'vûrt, /ˈkɑnvɝt/, /"kAnv3`t/
- help, file
- (RP): /kənˈvɜːt/, /k@n"v3:t/
- (US): kənvûrt', /kənˈvɝt/, /k@n"v3`t/
- help, file
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)t
- A person who has converted his or her religion.
- They were all converts to Islam.
- A person who is now in favour of something that he or she previously opposed or disliked.
- I never really liked broccoli before, but now that I've tasted it the way you cook it, I'm a convert!
person who has converted religion
person in favour of something they previously opposed or disliked
Third person singular
- (transitive) To transform or change (something) into another form, substance, state, or product.
- A kettle converts water into steam.
- (transitive) To change (something) from one use, function, or purpose to another
- He converted his garden into a tennis court.
- (transitive) To induce (someone) to adopt a particular religion, faith, or belief
- They converted her to Roman Catholicism on her deathbed.
- (transitive) To exchange for something of equal value.
- We converted our pounds into euros.
- (transitive) To express (a quantity) in alternative units.
- How do you convert feet into metres?
- (intransitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To score a conversion.
- (intransitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To score a spare.
- (intransitive) To undergo a conversion of religion, faith or belief.
- We’ve converted to Methodism.
- (intransitive) To become converted.
- The chair converts into a bed.
transform (something) into another form, substance, state, or product
change (something) from one use, function, or purpose to another
induce (someone) to adopt a particular religion, faith, or belief
exchange for (something) of equal value
express (a quantity) in alternative units
in rugby football
in ten-pin bowling
undergo a conversion of religion, faith or belief
Elsewhere on the web