Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement.Henry Ford
- Rhymes: -ɛst
- A tuft, or other excrescence or natural ornament, growing on an animal's head; the comb of a cock; the swelling on the head of a serpent; the lengthened feathers of the crown or nape of bird, etc.
- The plume of feathers, or other decoration, worn on or displayed above a helmet; the distinctive ornament of a helmet, indicating the rank of the wearer.
- (heraldry): A bearing worn, not upon the shield, but usually above it, or separately as an ornament for plate, liveries, and the like. It is a relic of the ancient cognizance. See Cognizance, 4.
- The upper curve of a horse's neck.
- The ridge or top of a wave.
- The summit of a hill or mountain ridge.
- The helm or head, as typical of a high spirit; pride; courage.
- The ornamental finishing which surmounts the ridge of a roof, canopy, etc.
- The top line of a slope or embankment.
animal’s or bird’s tuft
helm or head
Third person singular
- Particularly with reference to waves, to reach a peak.
Elsewhere on the web