Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
There is one thing that matters—to set a chime of words tinkling in the minds of a few fastidious people.Logan Pearsall Smith
Third person singular
- (transitive)To bring down by cutting.
- They want to cut down several trees to make room for the parking lot.
- (idiomatic)(transitive) To insult, to belittle.
- (idiomatic) To reduce the amount of something.
- He wants to cut down on extra steps.
- Please don't put the candy jar right next to my desk. I'm trying to cut down on sugar.
- In all senses, the object may appear before or after the particle. If it is a pronoun, it MUST precede the particle.
Elsewhere on the web