Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
There's night and day, brother, both sweet things; sun, moon, and stars, brother, all sweet things; there's likewise a wind on the heath. Life is very sweet, brother; who would wish to die?George Borrow
- A part, portion, or subdivision.
- A distinct course of life, action, study, or the like; appointed sphere or walk; province.
- Superior to Pope in Pope's own peculiar department of literature. Macaulay.
- Subdivision of business or official duty; especially, one of the principal divisions of executive government; as, the treasury department; the war department; also, in a university, one of the divisions of instructions; as, the medical department; the department of physics.
- A territorial division; a district; esp., in France, one of the districts composed of several arrondissements into which the country is divided for governmental purposes; as, the Department of the Loire.
- A military subdivision of a country; as, the Department of the Potomac.
- (obsolete) Act of departing; departure.
- Sudden departments from one extreme to another. Wotton.
- Czech: oddělení n.
- German: Abteilung f. (3)
- Hebrew: מחלקה (makhlaqa) f. (3)
- Spanish: departamento m. (4), sección f. (1)
Elsewhere on the web