Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- One appointed as the substitute of another, and empowered to act for him, in his name or his behalf; a substitute in office; a lieutenant; a representative; a delegate; a vicegerent; as, the deputy of a prince, of a sheriff, of a township, etc.
- (in France): A member of the Chamber of Deputies, formerly called Corps Législatif
- (Ireland) a member of Dáil Éireann, or the title of a member of Dáil Éireann. (Normally capitalised in both cases)
- Eamon Ryan is a Deputy in the Dáil.
- At today's meeting, Deputy Ryan will speak on local issues.
Deputy is used in combination with the names of various executive officers, to denote an assistant empowered to act in their name; as, deputy collector, deputy marshal, deputy sheriff.
Elsewhere on the web