Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Life is like a box of chocolates: You never know what you're gonna get.Forrest Gump Movie
- Rhymes: -aɪs
- Any piece of equipment made for a particular purpose, especially a mechanical or electrical one.
- A project or scheme, often designed to deceive; a stratagem; an artifice.
- His device is against Babylon, to destroy it. --Jer. li. 11.
- Their recent device of demanding benevolences. --Hallam.
- He disappointeth the devices of the crafty. --Job v. 12.
- (rhetoric) A technique that an author or speaker uses to evoke an emotional response in the audience; a rhetorical device.
- (heraldry) A motto, emblem, or other mark used to distinguish the bearer from others. A device differs from a badge or cognizance primarily because as it is a personal distinction, and not a badge borne by members of the same house successively.
- (law) An image used in whole or part as a trademark or service mark.
- (obsolete) A spectacle or show.
- (obsolete) Opinion; decision.
- (obsolete) Power of devising; invention; contrivance.
- I must have instruments of my own device. --Landor.
- (piece of equipment): appliance, equipment, gadget, design, contrivance
- (project or scheme): scheme, project, stratagem, artifice
- (obsolete, power of devising): invention, contrivance
piece of equipment
project or scheme
heraldry: personal motto or emblem
law: image used in whole or part as a trademark or service mark
obsolete: spectacle or show
obsolete: opinion; decision
obsolete: power of devising
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web