Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Man was predestined to have free will.Hal Luyah
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- (UK) IPA: /ˈdɪnə/, SAMPA: /"dIn@/
- (US) enPR: dĭnʹər, IPA: /ˈdɪnɚ/, SAMPA: /"dIn@`
- help, fileau
- Rhymes: -ɪnə(r)
- Hyphenation: din‧ner
- The main meal of the day, often eaten in the evening.
- A meal given to an animal.
- Give the dog its dinner.
- A midday meal (in a context in which the lighter evening meal is called supper).
- A formal meal for many people eaten for a special occasion.
- There are differences in usage according to the social class of the speaker. Working-class and lower-middle-class speakers in Britain, for example, are more likely to refer to the midday meal as "dinner" and the evening meal as "tea" rather than "supper".
- (main meal of the day, often eaten in the evening): supper
- (meal given to an animal): chow
- (midday meal): lunch, luncheon
- (formal meal for many people eaten at a special occasion): banquet, luncheon
Terms derived from dinner
main meal of the day
a formal meal
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web