Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
In the game of life it's a good idea to have a few early losses, which relieves you of the pressure of trying to maintain an undefeated season.Bill Baughan
to discover (third-person singular simple present -, present participle -, simple past and past participle -)
See also Discover
- (RP) IPA: /dɪsˈkʌvə/, SAMPA: /dIs"kVv@/
- (GenAm) IPA: /dɪsˈkʌvɚ/, SAMPA: /dIs"kVv@`/
- help, file
- Rhymes: -ʌvə(r)
Third person singular
- (somewhat dated) To expose something previously covered.
- The gust of wind discovered a bone in the sand.
- To find something for the first time.
- Turning the corner, I discovered a lovely little shop.
- (chess) To create by moving a piece out of another piece's line of attack.
- This move discovers an attack on a vital pawn.
Elsewhere on the web