Visit the forum if you have a language query!
do away with
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
In love, as in gluttony, pleasure is a matter of the utmost precision.Italo Calvino
- (transitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To destroy, eliminate, or make an end of.
- 1887, Mabel Collins, The Illuminated Way: A Guide to Newophytes, 1903 ed., Yogi publications, New Jersey, p. 35,
- For no nearness in space, no closeness of relations, no daily intimacy, can do away with the inexorable laws which give the adept his seclusion.
- 1922, Victor Appleton, Tom Swift And His Electric Locomotive, ch. 7,
- Using electricity as motive power for railroads will do away with fuel trains, tenders, coal handling, water, and all that.
- 2008, "Editorial: British schools' move towards scrapping homework is a progressive idea," Times of India, 30 Sep.,
- In most countries, homework has come to be an integral part of the schooling system. So much so that parents are suspicious when schools do away with homework.
Elsewhere on the web