Visit the forum if you have a language query!
dot the i's and cross the t's
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Oh, love is real enough; you will find it someday, but it has one archenemy—and that is life.Jean Anouilh Ardele
- (RP) IPA: /ˈdɒt ði ˌaɪz ənd ˈkrɒs ðə ˌtiːz/
- (US) IPA: /ˈdɑːt ði ˌaɪz ənd ˈkrɑːs ðə ˌtiːz/
- help, file
- (idiomatic) To take care of every detail, even minor ones; To be meticulous or thorough.
- Before taking the project to the CEO, let's make sure we dot the i's and cross the t's.
- 1858, United States Congress, Abridgment of the Debates of Congress, from 1789 to 1856, D. Appleton, page 387; from a January 1820 debate
- Pray, sir, what is the object of referring a bill to a committee —merely to dot the i's and cross the t's?
Elsewhere on the web