Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
I've only been in love with a beer bottle and a mirror.Sid Vicious
to duck (third-person singular simple present -, present participle -, simple past and past participle -)
- Rhymes: -ʌk
- An aquatic bird of the family Anatidae, having a flat bill and webbed feet.
- Specifically, an adult female duck; contrasted with drake and with duckling.
- The flesh of a duck used as food.
- (cricket) A batsman's score of zero after getting out. (short for duck's egg, since the digit "0" is round like an egg.)
- (UK, especially Template loop detected: Template:context 2) Dear, Mate (informal way of addressing a friend or stranger).
- Ay up duck, ow'a'tha?
- (slang) A playing card with the rank of two.
- A tightly-woven cotton fabric used as sailcloth.
- 1912, Katherine Mansfield, "The Woman At The Store", from "Selected Short Stories":
- He was dressed in a Jaeger vest—a pair of blue duck trousers, fastened round the waist with a plaited leather belt.
- A partly-flooded cave passage with limited airspace.
- Anas platyrhynchos (domesticus), Mallard-derived domestic breeds, including Pekin, Rouen, Campbell, Call, Runner
- Cairina moschata, Muscovy duck
aquatic bird of the family Anatidae
flesh of a duck used as food
a batsman's score of zero after getting out
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Weisenberg, Michael (2000) The Official Dictionary of Poker. MGI/Mike Caro University. ISBN 978-1880069523
Third person singular
- (intransitive) To lower the head in order to prevent it from being struck by something.
- (transitive) To lower (something) into water.
- (transitive) To lower (the head) in order to prevent it from being struck by something.
- (transitive) To try to evade doing something.
- (to lower the head): duck down
- (to lower into the water): dip, dunk
- (to lower in order to prevent it from being struck by something): dip
to lower the head
to lower into the water
to lower in order to prevent it from being struck by something
to try to evade doing something
Elsewhere on the web