Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.Guillaume Apollinaire
See also Duke
- The male ruler of a duchy (compare duchess).
- A high title of nobility; the male holder of a dukedom.
- Grand duke.
- (slang, usually in plural dukes) A fist.
- Put up your dukes!
- This is thought to be derived from Cockney rhyming slang where Duke(s) of York = Fork. Fork is itself cockney slang for hand, and thus fist.
male ruler of a duchy
male holder of a dukedom
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web