Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Life is an end in itself, and the only question as to whether it is worth living is whether you have had enough of it.Oliver Wendel Holmes Jr.
- Rhymes: -ɛl
- A brief pause in the motion of part of a mechanism to allow an operation to be completed.
- (electric) A planned delay in a timed control program.
- (automotive) In a petrol engine, the period of time the ignition points are closed to let current flow through the ignition coil in between each spark. This is measured as an angle in degrees around the camshaft in the distributor which controls the points, for example in a 4-cylinder engine it might be 55° (spark at 90° intervals, points closed for 55° between each).
Third person singular
- ^ According to ODS "(eng. dwell er laan fra nord.)", "English dwell is a loanword from Old Norse"
- ^ Oxford-Paravia Concise - Dizionario Inglese-Italiano e Italiano-Inglese (in collaborazione con Oxford University Press). Edited by Maria Cristina Bareggi. Torino: Paravia, 2003. ISBN 8839551107. Online version here
- "dwell" at The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
Elsewhere on the web