Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Life at its noblest leaves mere happiness far behind; and indeed cannot endure it. Happiness is not the object of life: life has no object: it is an end in itself; and courage consists in the readiness to sacrifice happiness for an intenser quality of life.George Bernard Shaw
- Rhymes: -eɪʃǝn
- The act of raising from a lower place, condition, or quality to a higher; -- said of material things, persons, the mind, the voice, etc.; as, the elevation of grain; elevation to a throne; elevation to sainthood; elevation of mind, thoughts, or character.
- Condition of being elevated; height; exaltation.
- That which is raised up or elevated; an elevated place or station; as, an elevation of the ground; a hill.
- The distance of a celestial object above the horizon, or the arc of a vertical circle intercepted between it and the horizon; altitude; as, the elevation of the pole, or of a star.
- The angle which the style makes with the substylar line.
- The movement of the axis of a piece in a vertical plane; also, the angle of elevation, that is, the angle between the axis of the piece and the line o/ sight; -- distinguished from direction.
- (architecture) A geometrical projection of a building, or other object, on a plane perpendicular to the horizon; orthographic projection on a vertical plane; -- called by the ancients the orthography.
- The raising of the Host - representing Christ's body - in a mass or Holy Communion service.
Elsewhere on the web