Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Adjectiveendemic (not comparable)
- Native to a particular area or culture; originating where it occurs.
- Kangaroos are endemic to Australia.
- Peculiar to a particular area or region; not found in other places.
- The endemic religion of Easter Island arrived with the Polynesian settlers.
- Prevalent in a particular area or region.
- Malaria is endemic to the tropics.
An endemic disease is one which is constantly present in a given area, though usually at low levels, whereas an epidemic is widespread and has a high incidence. A sporadic disease occurs now and then at low levels.
- An individual or species that is endemic to a region.
- California's flora includes many endemics.
Elsewhere on the web