Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The world's literature and folklore are full of stories that point out how futile it can be to seek happiness. Rather, happiness is a blessing that comes to you as you go along; a treasure that you incidentally find.Louis Binstock
- (RP) IPA: /ˌɛntəˈteɪn/, SAMPA: /%Ent@"teIn/
- (GenAm) IPA: /ˌɛntɚˈteɪn/, SAMPA: /%Ent@`"teIn/
- Rhymes: -eɪn
Third person singular
- (transitive) To amuse someone (usually by professional entertainers).
- The motivational speaker not only instructed but also entertained the audience.
- (transitive) To have someone over at one's home for a party or visit.
- They enjoy entertaining a lot.
- (transitive) To have a thought in mind.
- The committee would like to entertain the idea of reducing the budget figures
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web