Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- Rhymes: -iːθə(r)
From [[w:Template:lang:la language|Template:lang:la]][[Category:Template:lang:la derivations]] æther (“‘the upper pure, bright air’”) < Ancient Greek αἰθήρ (aithēr), “‘upper air’”) < αἴθω (aithō), “‘I burn, shine’”).
- (organic chemistry, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A compound containing an oxygen atom bonded to two hydrocarbon groups.
- (organic chemistry, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Diethyl ether (C4H10O), a compound used as an early anaesthetic.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A classical physical element, considered as prevalent in the heavens and inaccessible to humans. In some versions of alchemy, this was the fifth element in addition to air, earth, fire and water.
- (archaic, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A substance (aether) once thought to fill all space that allowed Electromagnetic waves to pass through it and interact with matter, without exerting any resistance to matter or energy (disproved by Einstein in his Theory of Relativity).
- (poetic Template loop detected: Template:context 1) The sky or heavens; the upper air.
- For examples of the usage of this word see the citations page.
Elsewhere on the web