Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Live as you would have wished to live when you come to die.Gellert
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- Something that is representative of all such things in a group.
- Something that serves to explain or illustrate a rule.
- Something that serves as a pattern of behaviour to be imitated (a good example) or not to be imitated (a bad example).
- "Learn from me, if not by my precepts, then at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge" - Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
- A person punished as a warning to others.
- A parallel or closely similar case, especially when serving as a precedent or model.
- An instance (as a problem to be solved) serving to illustrate the rule or precept or to act as an exercise in the application of the rule.
something representative of a group
something serving to explain or illustrate a rule
something serving as a pattern of behaviour
person punished as a warning to others
parallel or closely similar case
instance as a problem to be solved
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web