Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.Marcel Proust
- From the [[w:Template:lang:la language|Template:lang:la]][[Category:Template:lang:la derivations]] ex and tinguere.
Third person singular
- (transitive) to put out, as in fire; to end burning; to quench
- (transitive) to destroy or abolish something
- She extinguished all my hopes.
- (transitive) to obscure or eclipse something
- The rays of the sun were extinguished by the thunder clouds.
- (transitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) to bring about the extinction of a conditioned reflex
- (transitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) to hunt down (a species) to extinction
to put out, as in fire; to end burning; to quench
to destroy or abolish something
(psychology) to bring about the extinction of a conditioned reflex
(literally) to hunt down (a species) to extinction
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web