Visit the forum if you have a language query!
|< 4th||5th||6th >|
| Ordinal : fifth|
Cardinal : five
- (UK, US, standard) IPA: /fɪfθ/, SAMPA: /fɪfT/
- (UK, US, informal or dialectal) IPA: /fɪθ/, SAMPA: /fIT/
- Rhymes: -ɪɵ
In the UK the latter pronunciation is typically confined to lazy informal speech. In the United States it is a feature of some urban and African American dialects. The first pronunciation is both standard and vastly more common in both regions.
Adjectivefifth (not comparable)
- The ordinal form of the number five.
- The person or thing in the fifth position.
- One of five equal parts of a whole.
- The fifth gear of an engine.
- A quantity of liquor equal to one-fifth of a gallon.
- The musical interval between one note and another five tones higher.
fifth gear See fifth gear
Elsewhere on the web