Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
A pity beyond all telling is hid in the heart of love.William Butler Yeats
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- (UK) enPR: fo͞od, IPA: /fuːd/, SAMPA: /fu:d/
- (US) enPR: fo͞od, IPA: /fud/, SAMPA: /fud/
- help, file
- Rhymes: -uːd
- (uncountable) Any substance that is or can be consumed by living organisms, especially by eating, in order to sustain life.
- (uncountable, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Anything intended to supply energy or nourishment of an entity or idea.
- That is food for thought.
- (countable) A foodstuff.
- This shop stocks many hundreds of different foods.
- (substance consumed by living organisms): chow (slang), eats(slang), feed (for domesticated animals), fodder (for domesticated animals), foodstuffs, nosh (slang), nourishment, sustenance, victuals
- (anything intended to supply energy or nourishment of an entity or idea): brainfood
- (foodstuff): foodstuff
any substance consumed by living organisms to sustain life
anything intended to supply energy or nourishment of other forms
Elsewhere on the web