Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Ideas lose themselves as quickly as quail, and one must wing them the minute they rise out of the grass, or they are gone.Thomas F. Kennedy
- (UK, Template loop detected: Template:context 2) A game in which two teams of eleven players each contend to get a round ball into the other team's goal primarily by kicking the ball with their feet. In amateur games it may be a team of five or six, or indeed any number.
- Each team scored three goals when they played football.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) American football: a game similar to rugby football in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball to the end of each other's territory.
- Each team scored two touchdowns when they played football.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Canadian football: a game played on a wide field in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball to the end of each other's territory.
- They played football in the snow.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Term used to refer to the same game as the British definition (association football).
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Australian rules football.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Rugby League.
- (countable) The ball used in any game called "football".
- The player kicked the football.
- Practise of these particular games, or techniques used in them.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) An item of discussion, particularly in a back-and-forth manner
- That budget item became a political football.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) A field game played with similar rules to hurling, but using hands and feet rather than a stick, and a ball, similar to, yet smaller than a soccer ball.
- (slang) The nickname of the leather briefcase containing classified nuclear war plans, which is always near the US President.
- ("football" in Britain):
- ("football" in the US): (British) American football, (Australian) gridiron, gridiron football
- ("football" in Canada): (outside Canada) Canadian football
- ("football" in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia): footy, Aussie Rules, VFL (outdated), AFL
- ("football" in New South Wales and Queensland): footy, league
terms related to "football"
in Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia
practise of any of these games
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Category:Football (Soccer) for a list of terms used in football/soccer.
- Football on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- American football on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:American football
- Translations of football (soccer) terms
football m. (plural footballs)
- football (soccer)
Elsewhere on the web