Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Love is a tyrant sparing none.Pierre Corneille
- The act of generating or begetting; procreation, as of animals.
- Origination by some process, mathematical, chemical, or vital; production; formation; as, the generation of sounds, of gases, of curves, etc
- That which is generated or brought forth; progeny; offspring.
- A period of around thirty years, the average amount of time before a child takes the place of its parents.
- A single step or stage in the succession of natural descent; a rank or remove in genealogy, or collectively the body of people who are of the same genealogical rank or remove from an ancestor; the mass of beings living at one time.
- This is the book of the generations of Adam - Genesis 5:1
- Ye shall remain there [in Babylon] many years, and for a long season, namely, seven generations - Baruch 6:3
- All generations and ages of the Christian church - Hooker
- Race; kind; family; breed; stock.
- Thy mother's of my generation; what's she, if I be a dog? - Shakespeare, Timon of Athens, I-iii
- (geometry) The formation or production of any geometrical magnitude, as a line, a surface, a solid, by the motion, in accordance with a mathematical law, of a point or a magnitude; as, the generation of a line or curve by the motion of a point, of a surface by a line, a sphere by a semicircle, etc.
- (biology) "The aggregate of the functions and phenomena which attend reproduction.
Elsewhere on the web