Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Great souls have wills; feeble ones have only wishes.Chinese Proverb
- The condition and quality of being godly, pious, scrupulously observant of all the teaching's of one's religion, practicing virtue and avoiding sin.
- 1562 Bishops, Priests, and Deacons are not commanded by God's laws either to vow the estate of single life or to abstain from marriage. Therefore it is lawful also for them, as for all other Christian men, to marry at their own discretion, as they shall judge the same to serve better to godliness. — The Thirty-Nine Articles, Point 32.
- 1604 Nay, but he prated,
- And spoke such scurvy and provoking terms
- Against your honour
- That, with the little godliness I have,
- I did full hard forbear him. — Shakespeare, Othello, Act 1, Scene 2
the condition and quality of being godly
Elsewhere on the web