Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Happiness is not a goal, it is a by-product.Eleanor Roosevelt
NounWikipedia half-life (half-lives)
- (physics) The time required for half of the nuclei in a sample of a specific isotope to undergo radioactive decay.
- (chemistry) In a chemical reaction, the time required for the concentration of a reactant to fall from a chosen value to half that value.
- (medicine) The time it takes for a substance (drug, radioactive nuclide, or other) to lose half of its pharmacologic, physiologic, or radiologic activity. Year introduced in w:MeSH: 1974(1971)
- (culture) The time it takes for an idea or a fashion to lose half of its influential power. "Most books of scholarship have surprisingly short intellectual half-lives during which they make a difference" (Robert Ackerman, 1991. Introduction to Jane Ellen Harrison's Prolegomena to the Study of Greek Religion (1903).)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web