Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
When one subtracts from life infancy (which is vegetation), sleep, eating and swilling, buttoning and unbuttoning—how much remains of downright existence? The summer of a dormouse.Lord Byron
See also Hazel
From PIE *koselos, which is also the source of Corylus.
- A tree or shrub of the genus Corylus, bearing edible nuts called hazelnuts or filberts.
- The nut of the hazel tree.
- The wood of a hazelnut tree.
- A greenish-brown colour, the colour of a ripe hazelnut.
- 1594, William Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act II, Scene I
- Kate, like the hazel-twig,
- Is straight and slender, and as brown in hue
- As hazel nuts, and sweeter than the kernels.
tree / shrub
Elsewhere on the web