Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- 1 English
- 2 Dutch
- 3 Old English
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- (uncountable) Action given to provide assistance; aid.
- I need some help with my homework.
- (not used in plural form) A person or persons who provide assistance with some task.
- He was a great help to me when I was moving house.
- (countable) A person employed to help in the maintenance of a house.
- The help is coming round this morning to clean.
- (action given to provide assistance): aid, assistance
- (person or persons who provide assistance):
- (person employed to help in the maintenance of a house):
Third person singular
- (transitive) To provide assistance to (someone or something).
- He helped his grandfather cook breakfast.
- (transitive) To contribute in some way to.
- The white paint on the walls helps make the room look brighter.
- (intransitive) To provide assistance.
- She was struggling with the groceries, so I offered to help.
- (transitive) To avoid; to prevent; to refrain from; to restrain (oneself). Usually used in nonassertive contexts with can.
- We couldn’t help noticing that you were late.
- We couldn’t help but notice that you were late.
- She’s trying not to smile, but she can’t help herself.
- Can I help it if I'm so beautiful?
- Can I help it that I fell in love with you?
- —Are they going to beat us? —Not if I can help it!
- In uses 1, 2 and 3, this is a catenative verb that takes the to infinitive. It can also take the bare infinitive with no change in meaning.
- In use 4, can't help is a catenative verb that takes the gerund (-ing) or, with but, the bare infinitive.
- For more information, see Appendix:English catenative verbs
- (provide assistance to): aid, assist, come to the aid of, help out
- (contribute in some way to): contribute to
- (provide assistance): assist
- I/we desperately need assistance!
- Help! We're under attack!
- mayday! (used by vessels and aircraft)
Common Germanic *helpo
Elsewhere on the web