Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The ideas of a time are like the clothes of a season: they are as arbitrary, as much imposed by some superior will which is seldom explicit. They are utilitarian and political, the instruments of smooth-running government.Wyndham Lewis
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
Adjectivehigh (comparative higher, superlative highest)
- Being elevated in position or status, a state of being above many things.
- Tall, lofty, at a great distance above the ground (at high altitude).
- (slang) To be under the influence of a mood affecting drug; stoned.
- Of a quantity or value, great or large.
- a high interest rate
terms derived from high (adjective)
great or large quantity
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- A period of euphoria, from excitement or from an intake of drugs
- That pill gave me a high for a few hours, before I had a comedown
Elsewhere on the web