Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The tragedy of life is not so much what men suffer, but rather what they miss.Thomas Carlyle
- a pipe with a long flexible tube that draws the smoke through water. Originally invented in India, it gained most popularity in the Arab world. It is traditionally used for smoking tobacco, which is often flavored.
- 1831 — The Mirror of Literature, Amusement and Instruction
- In India, the lower orders use a hookah or hubble bubble, which is made of a cocoa-nut shell well cleaned out, having a hole through the soft eye of the shell, and another on the opposite side, a little lower down, the first of which is used for the chauffoir, and the other to suck or draw the smoke from.
- 1960 — Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, ch 9
- When Uncle Jack caught me, he kept me laughing about a preacher who hated going to church so much that every day he stood at his gate in his dressing-gown, smoking a hookah and delivering five-minute sermons to any passers-by who desired spiritual comfort.
Elsewhere on the web