Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Long is the road from conception to completion.Moliθre
- A frequentative verb, derived from the verb houkuttaa. However, the meaning has slightly changed from the original frequentative verb sense "to do sth (in an continuous or indifferent manner)".
- Hyphenation: hou·ku·tel·la
- IPA: /'houkutella/
houkutella (stem houkut-*)
- (transitive) To tempt, entice, lure, allure.
- (transitive) To coax, persuade, talk into.
- (transitive) To cheat, con, trick.
- (to tempt, entice, (al)lure) viekoitella, vietellä
- (to coax, persuade, talk into) suostutella
- (to cheat, con, trick) keplotella
- (to tempt/entice/(al)lure) The verbs houkutella, viekoitella and vietellä are quite close in meaning, and they can often be used as synonyms. However, there are subtle differences. Houkutella is the most universal and neutral of them. Viekoitella has a slightly shrewd air about it: one is intentionally enticed to do something that s/he would not have done, if s/he had understood all the consequences. Vietellä is the most sinful or strong of the three: it often refers to sexual seduction, or alluring a person to do something criminal or otherwise unacceptable.
Elsewhere on the web