Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Life is a long lesson in humility.Sir James M. Barrie
- (sciences) A tentative conjecture explaining an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further observation, investigation, and/or experimentation.
- (general) An assumption taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation.
- (grammar) The antecedent of a conditional statement.
- See also Wikisaurus:supposition
- alternative hypothesis
- ergodic hypothesis
- Avogadro's hypothesis
- Fisher hypothesis
- Griesbach hypothesis
- null hypothesis
- Riemann hypothesis
tentative conjecture in science
assumption taken to be true
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web