Visit the forum if you have a language query!
From [[w:Template:lang:la language|Template:lang:la]][[Category:Template:lang:la derivations]] īnflātiō (“‘expansion, blowing up’”), from īnfātus, the perfect passive participle of īnflō (“‘blow into, expand’”), from in (“‘into’”) + flō (“‘blow’”).
- Rhymes: -eɪʃǝn
- An act, instance of, or state of expansion or increase in size, especially by injection of a gas.
- The inflation of the balloon took five hours.
- (economics) A increase in the general level of prices or in the cost of living.
- (economics) A decline in the value of money.
- Undue expansion or increase, as of academic grades.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) An extremely rapid expansion of the universe, theorised to have occurred very shortly after the big bang.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Burgess & Quevedo, "The Great Cosmic Roller-Coaster Ride", Scientific American, November 2007, pg. 57.
Elsewhere on the web