Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- help, file
- (RP) IPA: /ˌɪntəˈvjuː/, SAMPA: /%Int@"vju:/
- (GenAm) IPA: /ˌɪntɚˈvjuː/, SAMPA: /%Int@`"vju:/
- A formal meeting, in person, for the assessment of a candidate or applicant.
- It was a dreadful interview; I have no hope of getting the job.
- A conversation in which facts or opinions are sought.
- The reporter gave the witness an interview.
- The account of such a conversation.
- The interview was printed the next day.
- (U.S. police usage) An interrogation of a suspect or party in a police investigation.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Third person singular
- To obtain an interview with someone; and to have an interview.
- He interviewed the witness.
- The witness was interviewed.
- "interview" at The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
Elsewhere on the web