Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Third person singular
- (dated) To clothe or wrap (with garments).
- To envelop, wrap, cover.
- 1667: Night / Invests the Sea, and wished Morn delayes — John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book 1, ll. 207-8
- To commit money or capital in the hope of financial gain.
- To spend money, time, or energy into something, especially for some benefit or purpose.
- We'd like to thank all the contributors who have invested countless hours into this event.
- To ceremonially install someone in some office.
- To formally give someone some power or authority.
- To lay siege to.
- (intransitive): To make investments.
From investigate, by shortening
- An unnamed tropical weather pattern "to investigate" for development into a significant (named) system.
Elsewhere on the web