Visit the forum if you have a language query!
(Template loop detected: Template:context 1)
Uncertain. Suggestions include:
- from langur monkeys, via the Munster Fusiliers regiment stationed in India
- from languor
- from lang, variant of long
- from "on the lang", supposed variant of on the lam
(Ireland) IPA: /ˈlæŋəɹ/
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) fool; idiot; annoying or contemptible person (usually male)
- "Give it up will ya! get a job, ja langer!"
- "And central to it all is wind-up, making a langer out of people, to use that now unfortunate word that can still only be used correctly and said correctly by Cork people, even though the rest of the country has taken to it with gusto, embarrassing themselves like white people trying to talk black slang to be "street"."
- "Langers boy, every wan of ‘em. Golfers are only langers. They’re only golfing cos they can’t hurl. Anyone that golfs in Cork is only a failed hurler and a langer, boy. "
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) penis
- "Mike opened his knees wide, so that his langer would be framed by the gap between his legs. For first impressions a boner would have been good, but not likely."
- "He showed me a photograph. There was a woman and a man doing something, but I wasn't sure what. The man was standing over the woman holding his langer (the Cork word) and she was looking up at him smiling. I felt ill and started to walk backwards."
- Originally and mainly restricted to County Cork
- (annoying or contemptible person) sound man
- ^ 1996 Enda Walsh Disco Pigs [ISBN 1854593986] p.8
- ^ 2006-09-03 Brendan O'Connor Roy: the discreet object of our desire, Irish Independent
- ^ 2006-11-02 Hurling abuse when there’s no team in sight, Irish Independent
- ^ w:Eoin Colfer "Taking on PJ" in Dublin Noir: The Celtic Tiger Vs. the Ugly American, ed. Ken Bruen, p.23 [ISBN 1888451920]
- ^ w:Fergal Keane All of These People: A Memoir p.88 [ISBN 0007176929]
- The Gentrification of Langer?, Finbarr Barry, peoplesrepublicofcork
- langer from the Hiberno-English archive
langer (declined langere)
- A drug dealer.
Elsewhere on the web