Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Happiness is not a possession to be prized. It is a quality of thought, a state of mind.Daphne Du Maurier
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- A written or understood rule that concerns behaviours and the appropriate consequences thereof. Laws are usually associated with mores.
- (uncountable) The body of rules issued by the legislative authority.
- (uncountable) The body of rules and standards to be applied by courts and similar authorities
- A one-sided contract.
- A well-established, observed physical characteristic or behavior of nature.
- Newton and Einstein understood the law of gravitation in very different ways.
- (mathematics) A statement that is true under specified conditions.
- A category of English "common law" petitions that request monetary relief, as opposed to relief in forms other than a monetary judgment; compare to "equity".
- (cricket) One of the official rules of cricket as codified by the MCC.
- (slang, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) The police.
- Here comes the law — run!
written or understood rule
body of rules from the legislative authority
body of rules and standards to be applied by courts
observed physical behavior
category of English "common law"
slang: the police
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- To be crazy
Elsewhere on the web