Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.Confucius
- Divination by interpreting the sound or effect of an object or substance falling into a body of water. Gems are commonly used.
- 1533 Cornelius Agrippa De Occult Philosophia lvii.
- Erat etiam olim apud Assyrios in magno precio Hydromantiæ species, Lecanomantia nuncupata, a pelvi aquæ plena, cui imponebantur aureæ at argenteæ laminæ et lapides preciosi, certis imaginibus, nominibus et characteribus inscriptæ
- 1610 Vives in J. Healey Saint Augustine of the Citie of God
- Diuination generally was done by diuers means..Hydromancy..done..in a basen of water, which is called Lecanomancie, in which Strabo sayth the Asians are singular.
- 1660 Urquhart tr. Rabelais Gargantua & Pantagruel iii. xxv.
- Have you a mind (quoth Her Trippa) to have the truth of the matter yet more fully and amply disclosed unto you..by Leconomancy, of old in prime request amongst the Assyrians, and thoroughly tried by Hermolaus Barbarus.
- 1893 Howitt tr. Ennemoser Hist. Magic ii.
- Among the various other kinds of divination not here mentioned may be enumerated Chilomancy performed with keys; Alphitomancy or Aleuromancy, by flour; Keraunoscopia, by the consideration of thunder; Eychnomancy, by lamps; Ooscopy, by eggs; Licanomancy by a basin of water; Palpitatim, Salisatio, by the pulsation or motion of some member etc.
- 1931 Lock tr. de Givry Picture Museum of Sorcery
- I may mention further lecanomancy, which was performed by letting precious stones drop into water; a mysterious little whistling resulted which announced the thing desired.
Elsewhere on the web