Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
It's discouraging to make a mistake, but it's humiliating when you find out you're so unimportant that nobody noticed it.Chuck Daly
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
Adjectiveleft (comparative more left, superlative leftmost)
- The west side of the body when one is facing north.
- (politics) Pertaining to the political left; liberal.
pertaining to the political left; liberal
Adverbleft (not comparable)
- On or towards the left side.
- The left side.
- (politics) The ensemble of left-wing political parties. Political liberals as a group.
- The political left is not holding enough power.
- (boxing) A punch delivered with the left fist.
The left side (1)
The ensemble of left-wing political parties
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Simple past tense and past participle of leave.
- (Ireland) (colloquial) permitted, allowed to proceed.
- We were not left go to the beach after school except on a weekend.
- The Concise Dictionary of English Etymology, Walter W. Skeat.
Elsewhere on the web