Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Always take hold of things by the smooth handle.Thomas Jefferson
See also líon
- A large cat, Panthera leo, native to Africa, India and formerly to much of Europe. The term may apply to the species as a whole, to individuals, or to male individuals. It also applies to related species like mountain lions.
- (heraldry): A stylized representation of a large cat, used on a coat of arms.
- The arms of the University of the West Indies are Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure an open Book proper bound Gules garnished Or on a Chief of the third a Lion passant guardant Erminois. Crest: A Pelican proper. (in other words a spotted lion lying down). See talk page.
- A Chinese foo dog.
- (idiomatic) An individual who shows strength and courage, attributes associated with the lion.
- It was said of [Edward Plantaganet] that 'he was a lion for pride and ferocity but a pard for inconstancy and changeableness, not keeping his word or promise but excusing himself with fair words'. 2003 Peter Armstrong & Angus McBride Stirling Bridge & Falkirk 1297-98: William Wallace's Rebellion.
- A famous person.
Chinese foo dog
person with strength and courage
Translations to be checked
- Sanskrit: सिण्हः m.
- Appendix: Animals
- Appendix: Collective nouns
- Lion's club
- Lion's sermon
lion m. (plural lions)
- Lion (1)
- (figuratively) Lion (4)
- Se défendre comme un lion, to defend oneself with great courage.
- (heraldry) Lion (2)
- (figuratively) (dated) Lion (5)
- (dated) A style of elegant young man that came after the dandy.
Elsewhere on the web