Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Life's a bitch, and life's got lots of sisters.Ross Presser
to listen (third-person singular simple present -, present participle -, simple past and past participle -)
- enPR: lĭs'ən, lĭs'n, IPA: /ˈlɪsən/, /ˈlɪsn̩/, SAMPA: /"lIs@n/, /"lIsn=/
- help, file
- Rhymes: -ɪsən
- Hyphenation: lis‧ten
Third person singular
- (intransitive) To pay attention to a sound, to note.
- Please listen carefully as I explain.
- I like to listen to music.
- (intransitive) To wait for a sound, such as a signal.
- You should listen for the starting gun.
- (intransitive) To accept or obey oral instruction.
- Good children listen to their parents.
- (transitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To hear (something), to pay attention to something said.
- For examples of the usage of this word see the citations page.
- (to pay attention): attend, give ear, hark, hear, heed, list, mind, note, pay attention
- (to wait for a sound): await, anticipate, expect, wait for
- (to accept oral instruction): mind, obey
- (to hear): hear, mind, heed
to pay attention
to wait for a sound
to accept oral instruction
to hear (something)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Definite form of liste.
Elsewhere on the web