Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way.Dale Carnegie
Third person singular
- (transitive) to compensate, fill in or catch up
- He can make up the time next week.
- I plan to make up for my failed midterm.
- (transitive) to invent, imagine, or concoct (a story, claim, etc.)
- He was a great storyteller and could make up a story on the spot.
- (transitive) to assemble, or mix
- I can make up a batch of stew in a few minutes, but it will take a two hours to cook.
- (transitive) to apply cosmetics or makeup
- Let's leave as soon I make up my face.
- (intransitive) to resolve, forgive or smooth over an argument or fight
- They fight a lot, but they always manage to make up.
- The object in all transitive senses can come before or after the particle. If it is a pronoun, then it MUST come before the particle.
to assemble, or mix
to apply cosmetics or makeup
Elsewhere on the web