Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
If frugality were established in the state, and if our expenses were laid out to meet needs rather than superfluities of life, there might be fewer wants, and even fewer pleasures, but infinitely more happiness.Oliver Goldsmith
See also née
Adjectivenee (not comparable)
- Used when giving the maiden name of a woman.
- Mrs Smith, nee Jones
- Used when giving a former name.
- Since the name change Butch (nee Frances) seems more tough and self-assured.
- As it is not a naturalised word in English, nee is often italicised.
signifies maiden name of a woman
- (Geordie) no, used to express no as a quantity, i.e. not any, like German kein/Dutch geen/French rien. Compare with na.
- Nee way man! (No way)
- Thor's nee watter! (There's no water)
- Nee is used to show disagreement or negation.
- Nee, je vergist je.: No, you are mistaken.
- Nee, je mag nu geen televisie kijken: No, you may not watch television now.
- Nee has a formal form, neen, which is archaic in spoken language, but quite common in written language.
Elsewhere on the web