Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
To fill the hour—that is happiness.Ralph Waldo Emerson
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- (UK) IPA: /ˈnɛv.ə(ɹ)/, SAMPA: /"nEv.@(r\)/
- (US) IPA: /ˈnɛvɚ/, SAMPA: /"nEv@`/
- help, file
- Rhymes: -ɛvə(r)
- Hyphenation: nev‧er
Adverbnever (not comparable)
- At no time.
- I finally finished, and I never want to do that again.
- (colloquial) Negative particle (used to negate verbs in the simple past tense; also used absolutely).
- The police say I stole the car, but I never did it.
- You said you were going to mow the lawn today. — I never!
at no time
nonstandard: did not
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
terms derived from never
Elsewhere on the web