Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Latin nescius = "not knowing".
Original usage: "A nice distinction", meaning a distinction so subtle it would only be made by the ignorant. Similar in meaning to the phrase "a moot point". The illogical association of "nice" with good feelings probably arose from the loss of the original meaning and a false interpretation of the word's usage.
Adjectivenice (comparative nic, superlative er)
- Of a thing or person or event, pleasant, pretty:
- What a nice dress!
- admirable, enviable:
- Innocent; gentle; distinguished by perceived class or virtue:
- What is a nice person like you doing in a place like this?
- Showing or requiring great precision or sensitive discernment; subtle
- a nice distinction
- neat; elegantly succinct:
- Fermat believed he had a nice proof of his theorem.
- Bordering on failure or disaster; succeeding by the narrowest of margins:
- "It has been a damned nice thing - the nearest run thing you ever saw in your life" -- The Duke of Wellington shortly after the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.
- (colloquial) With "and", excellent, pleasing:
- The soup is nice and hot.
- (easy to like: person): charming, delightful, lovely, pleasant, sweet
- (easy to like: thing): charming, delightful, lovely, pleasant
- (having a pleasant taste or aroma): appetising/appetizing, delicious, moreish (informal), scrummy (slang), scrumptious (slang), tasty
- (subtle): fine, subtle
- (easy to like: person): horrible, horrid, nasty
- (easy to like: thing): horrible, horrid, nasty
- (having a pleasant taste or aroma): awful, disgusting, foul, horrible, horrid, nasty, nauseating, putrid, rancid, rank, sickening, distasteful, gross, unsatisfactory
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Bulgarian: приятен, добър, хубав
- Chinese: 宜人的 (yírén de)
- German: aufmerksam
- Irish: deas
- Vietnamese: đẹp
Elsewhere on the web