Visit the forum if you have a language query!
This word has to be repeated at the end of a sentence (see w:Double negative#Germanic languages).
- Example: Hy kan nie Afrikaans praat nie. — He can't speak Afrikaans [not]
- (dialectal) Short form of niet
This is not a written form, though most people, in the Netherlands and Flanders, pronounce "niet" as "nie". There is almost no difference about informal or formal situations – nobody would notice the difference.
- First-person singular present indicative of nier.
- Third-person singular present indicative of nier.
- First-person singular present subjunctive of nier.
- Third-person singular present subjunctive of nier.
- Second-person singular imperative of nier.
Old High German nio
nie [[Category:Template:lang:de adverbs|nie]]
- A transliteration of any of a number of Chinese characters properly represented as having one of four tones, niē, nié, niě, or niè.
English transcriptions of Chinese speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Chinese language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
nie [[Category:Template:lang:pl adverbs|nie]]
Elsewhere on the web